Preliminary studies and strategic consultancy works developing a Nuclear Power Program in Chile
The Chilean Nuclear Energy Commission (CCHEN, for its acronym in Spanish) commissioned studies on the evaluation of the strategies development of the Chilean nuclear technology platform in order to ensure the mission, maintenance and even expansion of its products catalog and services in favor of social benefit. Being safety one of the most important aspects in the implementation and operation of a nuclear power plant. Within this context, IDOM was contracted to perform the following projects:
- Strategic evaluation and consultancy on nuclear technologies for Chile.
The objective of this project is to define and evaluate the strategic alternatives for the development of the nuclear technology platform, in particular cyclotron and experimental reactor facilities, based on the study of the current situation and the projections of the country’s needs.
- Study for the identification and evaluation of possible environmental effects and impacts produced by the generation of nuclear power in Chile.
The objective of this project is to identify and evaluate the possible environmental effects and impacts produced by the generation of nuclear power in Chile. The scope of the advisory work developed by IDOM for CCHEN consists of the following main points:
- Identification, definition and characterization of the emissions and discharges for each of the stages of the nuclear fuel cycle.
- Evaluation of the possible effects and impacts on people and the environment due to the emissions and discharges identified for the nuclear fuel cycle and nuclear technologies.
- Identification of technical, administrative and legal measures that have been implemented or required to the nuclear industry.
- Comparison with other energy generation technologies.
- Necessary conditions for the safe implementation of a nuclear power program in Chile.
The objective of this project is to identify the national infrastructure conditions of nuclear safety for the implementation of a nuclear power program in Chile, considering the improvements in the international standards recommendations. The scope of the advisory work developed by IDOM for CCHEN consists of two main points:
- Analysis of the state of the art of the international nuclear industry in terms of safety.
- Identification of national gaps in nuclear safety and proposal of improvement actions.