Smart Card in Cairo
The Egyptian Company for Metro (ECM) contracted IDOM to provide technical assistance for the supervision of the implementation of the new contactless card system.
Technical assistance during the installation, updating and deployment of the new ticket system for the Cairo Metro – based on contactless technology
The scope of the work carried out consisted of
- Supervision of the supply, installation, testing and commissioning works of the new ticketing system
- Supervision of the interoperability and integration of the line 3 system, built under the authority of the NAT (National Authority for Tunnels), with the new system using international standards
- Supervision of the commissioning of both systems
The scope of work included the design, delivery, installation, testing and commissioning and upgrade the ticketing system for the existing lines 1&2 of Cairo Metro (the project was awarded to INDRA) and the integration/interoperability with the new Metro line 3 (the project was awarded to THALES).
The project comprised the following items in lines 1&2:
- Ticket Office Machine (55 units)
- Contactless Card Initialization Machine (1 unit)
- SAM Production System (1 unit)
- Station Control Unit (55 units)
- New Automatic Gates (250 units)
- Upgrade of existing Automatic Gates (350 units)
- Central Control Unit (1 unit)
In addition, IDOM provided its best expertise to review the design and definition of the integration and operability protocols, and test procedures to assure the correct integration of the new Line 3. IDOM also carried out the necessary test to verify the correct implementation of said protocols.