Viaduct over the Almonte River
NEW INTERNATIONAL AWARDS
In the last two years alone, the Viaduct over the Almonte River, Cáceres (Spain), has been widely recognized, receiving international awards from renowned entities. The Viaduct has been called an innovative, versatile, creative and outstanding work, where sustainability and respect for the environment have been positively evaluated.
In October 2018, the International Federation for Structural Concrete (FIB), gave a special mention to the viaduct in the category of most exceptional concrete structures. Days later, the American Concrete Institute (ACI) awarded the viaduct the Highest Honor in Annual Excellence in Concrete Construction Awards. This award, given each year, is to recognize the project that most demonstrates excellence in innovation and technology in the field of concrete and that stands out from the rest of the works carried out.
The new Viaduct over the Almonte River, 996 m in length, forms part of the High-Speed Line that will link Madrid with Extremadura, being undertaken by ADIF Alta Velocidad. IDOM, in collaboration with the firm Arenas y Asociados, has been involved in this singular structure since 2011, participating in the detailed design and site supervision.
The arch, with a 384 m of span, also boasts three world records: it is the largest high-speed arch bridge in the world, it is the largest concrete railway arch, and it is the third largest concrete arch in all categories.
December 18, 2018
- Highest Honor in Annual Excellence in Concrete Construction Awards 2018 | American Concrete Institute (ACI) | Las Vegas
- fib Awards for Outstanding Concrete Structures 2018, Civil Engineering Category, Special Mention | International Federation for Structural Concrete (fib) | Melbourne
- Outstanding Structure Award 2018, Finalist | IABSE (The International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering) | Nantes
- Global Best Projects Awards of 2017: Bridge/Tunnel | ENR Engineering News-Record | United States
- III Premios de Ingeniería ACHE, Accésit en la Categoría Puentes | ACHE (Asociación Científico-Técnica del Hormigón Estructural) | A Coruña
- Gustav Lindenthal Medal | International Bridge Conference (IBC) 2017 - Engineer´s Society of Western Pennsylvania (ESWP) | Maryland
PHOTO / IMAGE
Photographs courtesy of the ALCÁNTARA-GARROVILLAS joint venture (FCC & Conduril)