Automation of container terminal access gates at the port of Bilbao
The container terminal of the Port of Bilbao is a modern rail-port terminal with connections to different points of the Iberian Peninsula and an automated access system for cargo flows, with an installed capacity of more than 900,000 TEUs.
The terminal is currently under the name CSP Iberian Bilbao Terminal S.L. and is part of the COSCO SHIPPING Ports (Spain) Terminals S.L.U. (CSP Spain) group.
The activities carried out by the IDOM consulting team included the following:
- Review of the current location of the terminal accesses and their interaction with the rail infrastructure.
- Analysis of truck arrival and departure flows to and from the terminal and review of queuing.
- Analysis of physical and document exchange processes.
- Benchmarking of successful cases in other terminals and definition of the technologies to be used for truck/container identification and the interaction of carriers with the gates.
- Analysis of technical alternatives and proposal of automatic gate system.
- Analysis of alternatives for the location of the accesses to the terminal.
- Flow projection and queue simulation.
- Elaboration of infrastructure pre-design and drawings at preliminary design level.
- Estimation of the necessary investment for the development of the infrastructure and cost analysis of the technological elements for the automation of the gates.